Saturday 19 October 2013

Netting at Soba Sewage Pools

I decided to try some netting today at the Soba Sewage Pools in the hope of catching some Northern Masked Weavers. There were a lot of juvenile birds around and many of the adults were in moult, suggesting it is the end of the breeding season for them. I managed to catch 17 weavers in total. They were easy to catch and I could have caught many more, but I am taking lots of measurements and I had to keep closing the two nets I was using to concentrate on collecting this biometric data.

Moulting male Northern Masked Weaver, Soba Sewage Ponds 19th October 2013

Juvenile Northern Masked Weaver, Soba Sewage Ponds 19th October 2013

As expected, there were plenty of other good birds caught in the net, though I was less inundated than I was earlier in the week at Sennar and on this occasion more than half of the birds caught were weavers. There was one of each of the birds caught below, plus a Namaqua Dove, a couple of House Sparrows and a couple of Northern Red Bishops.

Spur-winged Lapwing, Soba Sewage Ponds 19th October 2013

African Mourning Dove, Soba Sewage Ponds 19th October 2013

Wood Sandpiper, Soba Sewage Ponds 19th October 2013

Sedge Warbler, Soba Sewage Ponds 19th October 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment